Sunday, November 11, 2007

Holiday Craziness

So, how many of you love this time of year? All the family togetherness, celebrations, feelings of love and contentment?

Let's see a raise of hands....

Do you see me raising my hand?

NO! You do not!

Now, don't get me wrong. It is very fun for me to watch my kids celebrate the holidays, feelings of love abound for my family, life, health, and blessings.

But the absolute stress I start feeling the week before Halloween(because I don't have costumes done), does not end until, oh, the end of January.

Here we go:

  • Halloween.
  • Two weeks later, Nicole's birthday. (I, um, talked her out of a friend party this year because I have totally dropped the ball and didn't plan anything. Nice mom.) This year, add on to her birthday her "Star of the Week" status at school. I just finished her photo poster, but still need to come up with a bday treat for Wednesday and an 20 minute activity with the class on Friday. I need to order her cake and get her a new bday outfit. The day after her bday, Ron goes out of town. Thhppppttt.
  • A mere 1 week and 1 day later, Thanksgiving. It's at my house. Again. This time of year is when I start feeling somewhat grumpy about my dad dying, and my mom getting old. I don't like being in charge of holiday celebrations. I don't want to cook the turkey, or make food assignments. I can be such a brat sometimes! ;) I miss my daddy. I'm always worried that the food won't turn out, the preparation is always so crazy, and the kids are dying to eat before it's time, so it is just a stressful day. I guess I'm getting a taste of what my mom went through for years, and now she can finally sit back and relax! Someday I'll get my chance again.
  • The week after Thanksgiving, Ron goes out of town...again!
  • Then begins the craziness of Christmas. Getting the decor up. Will we find a Wii? Finding all the presents for the kids. The desire to find something awesome for and surprising Ron with a great gift, and it still hasn't happened. Ellie is almost 2....will I finish her stocking this year?! (I do get 1 point for having all the supplies for the stocking....now to start cross-stitching it. Yes, I KNOW it is November.)
  • FOUR DAYS after Christmas, Ellie's birthday. Poor thing. Why did I choose to be induced then? Oh yeah....I didn't want to wait for the tax deduction. I'd had heartburn for just about the entire year, so I wanted an added bonus of a quicker deduction. Have you ever tried to figure out what to get a little kid for her bday four days after she gets everything she could possibly need?! It's fun I tell ya!
  • Two weeks after Christmas, trying to avoid my bday. I absolutely don't remember getting this old. Therefore I choose to celebrate my 29th bday over and over again. If you really want to get technical though, this year I will be turning twenty-seventeen. snif. snif. snif....WAHHHHH! HOW did that happen?!?! I know that I have some serious memory loss from working, what, 8 years(?!) of night shifts. I have lost years of my life's memories from that!
  • End of January, Riley's bday. She will be 14 this time around. Going into Miamaids. She starts HIGH SCHOOL next year! I swear we just took her to her 1st day of Kindergarten 3 years ago. Freaky, freaky.
And to top all the holiday/birthday fun off, ALL of my Academic Committee responsibilities take place during this 3 month time span. I have Geography Bee this month, then the Spelling Bee and Presidential Pageant Essay Contest in January. Can I go to sleep and wake up in February?!

I'm kidding.....I've now vented. Now you are all bored, and I feel a bit better. Now if you see me anytime in the next 3 months, and I seem preoccupied, frazzled, and wild-eyed, you'll understand why! ;)

(I'll post pictures tomorrow of Nicole with her poster, so check back!)

4 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

OK, I'll stop whining right now. Thanksgiving isn't at my house, nor is the party the next day for my side. I do have Rachel's party on Saturday, and I have to teach preschool at my house this week and the week after Thanksgiving, but not much more than that. Alan's out of town today and tomorrow but will hopefully only have one more quick trip before the end of the year.

I say go to Costco and buy the prefab dinner : ). Stick it in your oven, pull off the packaging and pass it off as your own.

bradi said...

Um, a twenty minute activity at school. . . it's called NAP! Or play Who Can Be the Quietest. My kids fall for that all the time. You need to take a breather before February. Your list hurt my brain! Also, here's a birthday gift for the child with a Christmas time birthday, get a sitter for the other kids and give her a day alone with the parents! I have a Christmas bday and usually I just want to spend time with someone doing something that is completely and utterly about me alone. Actually, I'd like to do that all the time but I'll settle for it on my day! Good luck!

Hacking it up said...

GOOD HONK! I wasn't feeling too stressed until I read everything you have to do , and it reminded me of everything I have to do...thanks for that... :)
My mom and Dad and Aunt and Uncle are flying in on Sunday to stay for a week, so, Thanksgiving is at my house too, but since I don't get to spend Thanksgiving with family very often, I don't mind, esp. because, I plan on making my mom do the turkey...and the gravy..I suck at making gravy... I'm going to do the Rhode's rolls and salad, and perhaps a nice relish tray...and pies..LOTS of pies!!!..and the sweet potatoes...hmmmm, I'd better clean out the friges...

I've been a prisoner in my house for 10 freakin days now because Conor has been SOOO sick...poor guy, but seriously...I'm going to blow a gasket...He's going back to school tomorrow!!!

You need to get yourself off some of those dang committees! I did all that with the girls, and now I'm tired, so now, I just send treats and checks :)

And now that I have filled up your entire column with my obnoxious comments, I will take my leave.

P.S. I miss your dad too...he is an awesome, fun guy,...but don't worry, he'll be at Thanksgiving dinner :) XOXOX

Crazymamaof6 said...

Wow! I THOUGHT my 3 months was bad. i don't volunteer. for anything,i slack at the mom duties and i never have friend parties if it makes you feel better. i feel for you. i have October,November and December birthdays too! what were we thinking getting prego in Jan. and feburary?
i 'll tell you i wasnt' doing the math at all. but still. i get the stress of all of it. we do noon lunch at a park and we volunteer for certain things between the families for food things,every year i make the candied carrots, the stuffing and a pie for our annual pie contest. it almost does itself.
and did you hear? Kmart is offering Wii's on thanksgiving day i think (check my link on my sidebar for the blackfriday listings) $250. you might get one if you are the first in line since Kmart doesn't buy more than they have in stock for the sales they advertise but they should have at least one or two. you should go camp out and get one. AHHH I feel ya! hope it calms down in your life soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails