Saturday, November 17, 2007

Food Storage Chicken and Dumplings

Here's the yummy recipe for the chicken and Dumplings I made the other night. The recipe uses all things from food storage, but I used fresh veggies instead. So I increased the amounts of veggies (I doubled them, but added even more carrots, because I like carrots!), and decreased the water by a cup or so.

Soup
1/4 c dried carrots
1/4 c dried celery
1/8 c dried onion
1/2 t chicken bullion (I used 1 cube)
1 t dried sage
salt and pepper to taste
2 (12.5 oz)cans chicken breast, with juice...I used 8 cooked tenders
2 (14.5 oz)cans chicken broth...or 1 chicken and 1 vegetable
6-8 c water

Dumplings
2 c biscuit mix-homemade (recipe below)
2/3 c milk

Combine all ingredients and let simmer until veggies are reconstituted and flavors are blended(about 40 min.). When soup is ready, bring it to a boil. Add dumplings one spoon drop at a time and cover with lid. Cook until the dumplings fluff up and look done(about 15-20 mins), cut into one to check it. The dumplings will help to make the soup a lot more creamy and hearty.
**Options: Add 1 c noodles instead of dumplings, more veggies to make it go farther, or adding different veggies like corn or peas.

Basic Biscuit Mix
9 c sifted flour 3 T baking powder
1/4 c sugar 1 T salt
2 c shortening

Mix until flour and shortening are thoroughly mixed together. Use in recipes calling for Bisquick. Store in sealed container in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Hacking it up said...

Yeah...that's all good, but how many M&M's do you have?...FYI, Lance bought me 60, 3lb. bags of peanut M&M's from Costco....you do the math...

andrea said...

I'm laughing too hard to do ANY math!!! I am sure glad you shared, or you'd be diabetic by now!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails