
These are the kids pictures I'm making up for the "Sunbeam" posters in their class. The kids get to find their pictures and then stick them to the poster when they come to class on Sunday. Paper from tangie baxters "happy thoughts" kit.
I am the nursery coordinator in my ward. This Sunday was my first "change" Sunday. I was excited for it...new church time(later, meaning I would actually get there on time), new teachers, the bigger kids moving up into new classes. I guess I should've realized that the kids we are dealing with wouldn't appreciate the changes very well.
One class, Ellie's, did well. She threw a bit of a fit at the very start, but then saw the puzzles, so the fit ended as abruptly as it began.
The other two classes....hysterics, crying, chaos...
The 2nd "older" class was missing a teacher at the last minute. Three of the 6 kids were beyond upset about new teachers, and going to class first instead of toy time. Parents would leave, we'd get kids calmed, and then the parent would peek back in the window of the door to check on them. How is it that all 2 year olds are clairvoyant, and know exactly when their parents are at the window, so they also look up and the hysterics begin again?! We need one-way glass in those doors!
The younger class was...difficult. There was 1 of the 4 kids in there that didn't cry off and on the whole time. The 2nd stopped when she got her snacks...but the others?! Eeek! They hate it! I hope we figure them out soon!
It was stressful to me, as this was the first time I had to try and get it ready when the classrooms are still occupied by the 9 am ward when I need to get set up. Tons of fun to track down tables, open cupboards, get snacks out, and kids are getting dropped off in classrooms that don't have teachers in them yet. I REALLY hope next week goes better since it's ward conference, and the stake nursery leader will be there to observe...I wonder if you can get fired from a calling?! The topper was that at the end of church, one of the kids escaped before his mom came, and no one knew it. Until she came to get him and he was gone. I have never felt so sick. Found him in one of the front foyers trying to get outside, but thankfully, no one would open the door for him. I wanted to fire myself!
Too sad that in all the setting up nursery mayhem, I missed Nicole's talk in primary...grrrr. Ron went in to help her, but she almost didn't need help. That kid is reading on 2nd grade+ level, so had no problem reading her talk. She held up her pictures at the right time and everything. Jared was beyond excited to get his CTR ring. I think he may have already lost it now though....glad they are cheap!
Riley enjoyed the later church time. So much so, that at 10:45 when I'm trying to get everyone out the door, I called, and called, and called down to her....then found her...STILL ASLEEP! Hello?!?! So she got to walk to church today. Good thing it's just around the corner. Too bad for her it was blizzarding when she had to walk. I love it that she was bugged at me that she slipped in the snow while getting to church. Hmmm...hopefully a lesson learned that you get up and get yourself ready on time in order to get a ride to 11 AM church?!




4 comments:
I once had a mentally handicapped kid slip away from my class. It took us ten VERY long and ulcer inducing minutes to find him. He ran into the next ward's sacrament meeting, and was perched up on the front row. Take about stressful! And his mom is one of my best friends to boot!!
Dang. Glad I'm not in Nursery. I had that calling when I was pregnant with Conor...good times....actually, I enjoyed it...the kids are really cute..once you can get the parents to leave, and stay gone! We have the same problem as you in that we are the middle ward, so the primary can't set up.So, our primary pres. asked the bishop to have everyone stay seated after sacrament and sing a cong. hymn while the primary teachers, etc. are excused to go set up. It worked pretty well...so, maybe you could try that...
And they won't fire you...no one else wants the job...and I figure, if you only misplace ONE kid out of like 30...that's not too bad! :)
P.S. Do you want Lance to find Jared's CTR ring? :)
Bless your heart! It is stories like these that make me welcome the busy schedule that you get to have when serving on the young womens.
Whew! I have that same nightmare now that we are teaching the 4-5 year-olds. I lost one of mine for a couple of seconds making the transition from sharing time to class time. Scary! Hang in there with Riley - mine would sleep until 2 p.m. if I let them. BTW, Conzo doesn't wake up by alarm either - and I thought I was a heavy sleeper!
Post a Comment