Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lots of Luv, and WTH was with last night?!

First, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

Second....here's a recap of last night....it has to do with weather...

There was a little storm in the forecast. No one was concerned, just a little wind and 2-4" of snow expected. What happened was not was what anyone expected. Blizzard of '08, and we lived through it. Here's highlights:

  • Ron's commute home: normal time 50 minutes...last night 4 1/2 HOURS!
  • State Road 92, which Ron typically drives home on, closed....with people out there stranded! Accidents, people running out of gas, slide-offs, dead batteries, cars abandoned in the middle of the road causing a literal parking lot. Search and Rescue showed up late last night with snowmobiles to get the people to a church where family members could come get them.
  • Neighbor, also one of Ron's home teaching families, is stuck out on SR92 with a dead battery and her 6 year old son. Husband out of town. Ron got past the Highway patrol barricade to go try and save her, but thankfully he found out before he got stuck out there that she flagged a ride with a stranger....whom she spent the next 3 1/2 hours with trying to get out of the mess. Luckily she picked a nice person and not a mass murderer....also a good thing that we don't have many of those in Utah...mass murderers that is!
  • School buses full of little kids were stuck in the mess for 5-6 hours. Can you imagine...little kids, stuck on a school bus in a blizzard, no potty, no dinner? The buses finally made it back to the school, and about 200 kids SPENT THE NIGHT AT SCHOOL!!! The parents couldn't get there to get them. That elementary was closed today!
  • Our school started two hours late, and AM kindergarten was canceled. Nicole was heartbroken about no Valentines party today, but I assured her she'd do it tomorrow. So sad!
All in all, it was INSANE last night! We won't forget this for a while. Right now though...snow melting, sun shining, a beautiful day. Utah winters are nuts!

5 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

HOLY CRAP! crazy crazy stress! and scary too. and oh my gosh! poor kids, poor families. and poor Nicole that is a bummer. seriously insane. i don't know how you do it. that would freak me out for sure.

onehm said...

That's just crazy.
Move to AZ. We welcome those fleeing the craziness of ridiculous weather...oh but we also have ridiculous weather. But you won't ever get stuck at school because of it~ nor will they cancel a valentine's day party because of it.
See? Two good reasons to move here!
;o)

raising4boys said...

Wow! That was crazy! This hit our area but I don't think it was quite as bad. The elders quorum president called our house after 10 pm and my hubby called around to check on families. Much to our surprise a lot of them were out in the mess. I think most of them were finally able to get home before midnight though.

Thankful Randy was working from home that day thanks to a dentist appointment or he probably would have slept at his office.

Bummer for AM kindergarten. Our school was also delayed 2 hours but my kindergartener has PM.

That was pretty crazy, it's been such a bad winter but we weren't expecting that one. I guess the wind was the worst part.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

bradi said...

Wow! I'm sooooo glad I don't live in Utah! If I were stuck in a car with my kids for that long, a mass murderer with a snowmobile would seem pretty enticing! I'm so glad Ron made it home fine. Spent the night at school? Those poor kids!

Hacking it up said...

Dang!

I heard about all of that!!! CRAZY!!! I have to say, I don't miss the snow...it was 75 degrees here today, so you know where to go for a break...

Related Posts with Thumbnails