Well, the final book is now being played on "Masterpiece", with the 1st half being shown last night. What did you think?
I was a bit worried...so far, the only one I've liked is Persuasion. Of course, P&P and Emma were not new, and I like those....but I was disappointed with Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. So because of that I was a bit...well, a lot, worried that this new S&S wasn't going to match up to my all-time favorite version with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, etc....you know the one!
But, OH! I really did like it! Of course, only half of it has been seen, but in my opinion, this adaptation is very good! The actors are doing a great job, they really show the contrast of going from rich to very poor. The whole feeling of the cottage and where they had to move is bleak, and their lives seem to be forever altered. Willoughby isn't so good looking that it's going to be hard to not like him at the end (like the other one!), and Colonel Brandon does seem more marriageable than the Alan Rickman character...and even Edward seems to be a bit more...I don't know...sure of himself?!
I'm even more excited, because I noticed that Costco is going to be carrying a DVD collection of the new Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility together! Hooray!
Monday, March 31, 2008
Sense & Sensibility
at
1:03 PM
Labels: just for fun
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
hehe--glad to see that the Jane Austen admiration is a family trait. I missed the beginning of S&S :(. Which I wasn't too upset about until you told me it was good. Now I have to get it when it comes out too. :)
Aw man! Sometimes I hate working Sunday nights. I keep getting one half of the movies seen, then miss the other half. I'll have to see if I can Netflix the whole thing and sit down all by myself while Alan's out of town...
I've been trying to comment on your blog for a few days, but blogger keeps ralphing on pop up comment boxes (at least on my computer). I printed off the asian salad recipe you posted last week and I can't wait to try it. Looks fabulous!
Not sure I totally agree with you. The new S&S didn't make me feel as sad or depressed when the Dad died or when they went from rich to poor. Therefore, not as realistic to me. The girls didn't seem sad enough. I do agree the setting is much more bleak and this extended version gives more detail according to the book. I also like how the actors are not as "Hollywood" as the Lee/Thompson version. Next Sunday is taking much too long to get here. Thanks for letting me know about Costco. I will be buying the DVD for sure!
I have it on my DVR...I'm behind and need to catch up!!!...maybe if I ignore everything today, I can catch up! :)
Post a Comment