Unless you live under a rock, or are one of those really strong-willed people that have banned TV from your homes, I'm sure you are well aware that the 2010 Winter Olympics are in full force. Except for the downhill skiiers.....who seem to be having an issue with snow.
In honor of the Olympics, I dragged out our little stuffed mascots that we got way back in 2002 when little ole SLC hosted the games. See, I knew that my packrat tendencies would come in handy one day! Behold the decorated mantle:
If I feel so inclined, I'll dig through some old pictures and find some shots of our family enjoying the SLC Olympic festivities.....later.
But for now, my take on some of the things pertaining to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics:
- Sad for them that they've had such a mild winter....I'm sure it's caused a ton of stress for the organizers.
- Luge: Saddest thing ever. And thanks to the news media for showing that horrific accident, I don't want to watch the competition now at all. Gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.
- Snowcross: Loved it, and I don't typically enjoy watching snowboarding! I really liked the demin pants they wore. I want some. Except that when I ski, I don't want to look like a snowboarder, so I won't be looking too hard!
- Hope to see some downhill and super G soon....as does everyone.
- Pairs ice skating: I normally love it, but was bored to tears with it this time.
- Mens ice skating: Almost as bad as the pairs, although I was a little more interested.
- Moguls course: Loved it, but OUCH! My knees hurt for them. And the woman that has had 6 knee surgeries and is still competing, and winning?! Good for her. Does she have her knee replacements scheduled with her surgeon already? Talk about tenacious.
- Is it Biathalon? The X-country skiing and shooting? Hmmmm.
- Curling: Riveting, as always. I WANT a pair of the Norwegian teams pants.
What are your thoughts, loves, hates?





8 comments:
Did you go to some of the SLC events? That would have been so fun to watch:)
My favorite has been the live-tweeting of events. I know some pretty funny people.
What about the alternate pregnant lady on the Canadian Curling team!!! Amazing..when I was five months pregnant I was ordering fries with my cheeseburger!! :)
curling. I don't get it. I could probably get a gold medal in that event though, I am a heck of a sweeper!
There have been some pretty gay costumes on those "men" figure skaters...go figure....and I have never seen so many people fall on the half-pipe...like I could do better...
I don't get into the Olympics... I'm not sure why.
Ooooh that snowboard cross was AWESOME!! Holy buckets of insanity! Love the skeleton, too. Death defying and terrifying, and I love that the one woman that took 4th had a baby just a short time ago. There were actually a few women that had babies that came back to compete - super cool.
I agree on the ice skating. The one that was on last night where they all have to skate the same program was boooooooooooooring. Have to say I didn't like Lysacek much until I saw his interview.
Loved watching Lindsey Vonn rock the slopes! Same with the Norweigian guy that crashed a couple years ago and had really bad injuries, then came back to win the gold.
Skating short track relay race is astonishingly organized chaos. Fun to watch.
I love hearing the stories behind the athletes. That they have overcome hard things and put the time and dedication in to get to the top. I have the utmost respect for that.
Ummm would it be horrible to admit that I haven't seen A SINGLE EVENT from this Olympics? Well...I haven't. I guess that is one price we pay for not having cable.
P.S. I read this a week ago and must've forgotten to comment! Sorry about that!
I love that you got your mascots out. My 5th grader told me he was making Olympic mascots at school and I asked him, "oh you mean the bunny". It was then I learned every Olympics has their own mascots :) But hey I learned something new that day right? And ya, I was at Chili's when they showed that accident on the news. It was sad and made me nervous too for the others. But other than that the Olympics are pretty cool!
Post a Comment