Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cap'n Ron the Pirate, Part deux

Back in July, I blogged here about Ron having a vitrectomy. I mentioned there that his left eye had the same problem that he would most likely have fixed. So last Tuesday, that's what we did. Since there were some small retinal tears that required some laser repair in the first one, it took a bit longer before he experienced a full recovery and a return to good eyesight, and we wanted to wait until that eye was seeing well before the other one went out of commission for a while!

So last Tuesday came with excitement on his part to not have anymore visual impairments in either of his eyes. Surgery went well, no retinal tears were found in this eye, so it was just a straight forward vitrectomy. Cap'n Ron came back from surgery, recovered quickly, and we were off to pick up the kids from school!



The next day took us back to the doctor for his patch removal and a check out of the eye, which went well. Ron was happy to have the floaters gone and now just waiting for a return to full vision and, for anyone who has seen him up close, waiting for the white of his eye to clear up as well....it isn't white after surgery, it's all red and traumatized. It freaks people out, as well it should, it isn't pretty!

Unfortunately, we hit a little glitch Sunday when he noticed that he could see a "floater" in there again....which should be gone! So Monday he called and spoke with the nurse who kind-of freaked him out a little. She didn't come out and tell him he should be seen, but when he mentioned he was going to CA the next day, she told him if he saw any changes in his vision while there, he needed to get on a plane and come home to be seen....so when he told me that, I asked why he didn't get an appointment for the next day BEFORE he went to CA? So he called the nurse back, and she was happy and relieved to get him an appointment that morning. (I'm still not sure why she didn't just do that to begin with!)

So yesterday, Ron saw an associate of the Dr. that did his surgery, and sure enough, there is a floater in there again...They aren't sure if it got left behind from the surgery and then moved into his line of vision or developed after. But a little more concerning is the macular hemmorhage that the Dr. found. It is small, but not a good thing. They took some pictures of it, and even did an ultrasound of his eye...didn't even know that was something they ever did! They are just waiting right now to see if it resolves on it's own, which is what we are hoping for. He has another appointment Monday with the Dr. that did the surgery, so we'll get more answers then hopefully. I'll keep you updated!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scarey! I did notice his eye on Sunday but in passing and didn't have time to "give him a hard time." Will you do that for me? Thanx. ;)

Mrs. O said...

Drat. I hope things do resolve on their own. Sending lots of good healing thoughts your way.

onehm said...

OOOH! Always scary business when you are dealing with the eye.
Glad that things seem to be ok and that he has a doctor that is on top of it. Hoping for good news!! :)

Hacking it up said...

arrrrgh!!! That sucks. Eye stuff is scary--I hope it resolves on its own :3

Chrissy, said...

Jason and I both saw him and didn't notice. We will tell the girls and include him in our family prayers.I hope he feels better soon.

Nurse Heidi said...

Eek!!! First off, eye surgery in general just grosses me out. Now you add an ultrasound to the eyeball?? Weird!

Eye surgery is scary...here's hoping it doesn't have to be redone.

raising4boys said...

Doesn't sound fun! But it is interesting and amazing the things Dr's can do now. Get well soon Ron!!

Jason and Abby said...

I'm glad you posted these pictures...they made my day. Arrrggggg Matey! I'm glad he's feeling better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails