Ron has had a couple incidences of "Vitreal Detachment", which is when the vitreous humour(the clear jelly stuff in your eyeball) pulls away from the back of the retina. In alot of people, this doesn't cause any problems. But sometimes it can cause large "floaters" to become present in your vision. Unfortunately, Ron had this develop. His 1st detachment was about 16 mos. ago, in the right eye. He was dealing with the "floaters" okay, since his left eye was still fine. Until last Tuesday, when his left eye had the same thing happen, and it's all cloudy and has floaters now too....needless to say, impaired vision wasn't working too well with what he has to do for work! So we met with a retinal surgeon, and determined that he was a good candidate for a vitrectomy. Basically they stick a suction tube in your eye, suck out the gunk, and replace it with nice clear stuff, and viola! You have clear vision again. Ron thought about it for about 5 minutes, and scheduled surgery! Right eye was done today. The procedure went very smoothly, and we'll go tomorrow and have his patch removed. We have little doubt that his vision will be much improved. As soon as he knows how well this procedure went, and his left eye stabilizes for 3 weeks or so, he'll most likely have the same thing done to that eye.
For your viewing pleasure....a little video clip I took in post-op recovery so he could see his eye patch! :) (It was fun playing with his new iPhone to take this video....easy-peasy! Posts right to youtube with a touch of the screen. He heard youtube has been slammed with iPhone video uploads since the new ones were released.)
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
Unofficial "Pirate Day" at our house...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
Put some aRRRgh into that pirate, Ron. :)
Hope tomorrow is bright and clear.
You are a crack up! Hope Ron recovers nicely!!
I hope the recovery is fast!
Oh poor guy:(
Oh wow, I'm not going to lie, I'm laughing super hard after seeing that video.
I'm glad everything went well. I hope Ron continues to heal and is able to return back to work. We miss him!
Poor pirate!! That does not sound fun at all.
"Arghh, numb." Hmmm. Yea, get the other eye done.
Ah ha! Here's the rest of the story. While eye surgery grosses me out completely, I'm glad it worked for Ron.
Ah ha! Here's the rest of the story. While eye surgery grosses me out completely, I'm glad it worked for Ron.
Post a Comment