Thursday, April 23, 2009

Will You Marry Me?


Ten years ago today, on the grounds of the Mesa, Arizona LDS Temple, I heard these words. I was in shock! Especially with the diamond ring that was staring at blinding me. ;) Ron will claim that he waited 5 minutes for me to answer and had to ask me again, but he is very impatient...it was only about 20 seconds before he said, "Well...." But obviously, the answer was YES! Sheesh, I'd had so many surprises that day, gimme a chance to think!

Ron and I had been long-distance "dating" since mid-February. We met on-line *gasp*, with him in Houston and me in Utah. He had been to Utah twice, and I had been to Texas twice......with lots of email and long-distance phone calls in between!

Ron knew I was planning a visit to my sister in Arizona in April, so he secretly contacted her and planned a little surprise. So on April 23rd, 1999, my sister picked me up from the airport, we dropped my things off at her house and headed to Haji-Babba's (middle eastern food) for lunch. After we sat down, Beth's cell phone rang. She answered it, then handed it to me. It was Ron. He made a little small talk, then told me to turn around...to see him walking in! Needless to say, I was shocked.

Later that afternoon, he said he wanted to go see the Mesa Temple. You'd think I would've been smart enough to figure out something was up, but no. As we were sitting by the North side reflecting pool, he pulled the ring out and popped the question. I think he just wanted to make sure there was a really good reason for him to pick up and move back to Utah.

Even with all the surprises, I am sure glad that he planned it, and it makes it even better that I was proposed to where my parents were married. My brother-in-law Scott took the picture above of us the next day at the temple.

Hooray for us, ten years! I guess I better start planning something good for August and our wedding anniversary. :)

9 comments:

Jamie said...

What a great story. How romantic. that he surprised you. Good luck with those plans. That is where I fall short,very seldom any good ideas:)

Ron said...

And I would do it all over again. Andrea is the best! :-)

Anonymous said...

Look how cute you two are! Andrea, you look exactly the same...Ron, more distinguished with age? Love you guys!

Ron said...

Good one, Steph. Andrea does look exactly the same, except more lovely if that's possible. Me? Just a fatter and grayer.

Mrs. O said...

He sounds like a true romantic. Congratulations on 10 years (a cruise is fun).

Jason and Abby said...

Ooooh cute! Congratulations!

Chrissy, said...

That is the cutest thing! I love getting to know more about you guys. I agree Andrea you look the same!

Shirlene said...

I didn't know or remember all those details! Ron is a romantic....I'm so impressed. He pulled of quite the impressive move, flying to Arizona (which had meaning) and surprising you by him being there and with the ring!
You should plan a fun trip somewhere,w/o kids. Wow 10 years!!! (we're celebrating 15 in June)
Congrats.

RAQ said...

Great story but I can't see the picture. Love you guys!

Related Posts with Thumbnails