First....my poor sister, who I talked to yesterday morning and she was just fine, was suddenly stricken....struck(?) yesterday afternoon with appendicitis....so she spent the night in the hospital and had the little inflamed bugger taken out today...Beth, we wish you a speedy recovery, and hope this doesn't throw a wrench into you coming up here in a couple weeks! :)
Last report was that surgery went well, and she'll go home tomorrow if there are no complications.
Now for the emotions...my mom had decided to sell her house this summer. I had been bugging her since my dad died to sell it and get something more manageable for her, on one level, etc., but she wasn't ready. Until a few things fell into play this last Spring that made sense for her to sell it, and she felt ready.
So she cleaned and straightened the house a bit more, packing some things up, and purging others. She met with a realtor, and they came back tonight to give her the numbers and such, so she was reporting to me about the meeting....then I asked if she thought she'd sign with them, and she said, "Oh, I already did!"...I was surprised, and asked when they were going to come put the sign up and such, and she told me it was already up. It was at this point that the completely unanticipated emotions just blubbered out of me...yep, I lost it. I seriously did not expect those feelings. I knew it was coming. I knew it was coming almost 3 years ago when we lost my dad. But it is so real now, knowing that the house I lived in from age 10 on will be sold and no longer be "home"....and it hasn't even been home to me for close to 18 years! I think it just brought up those feelings of loss again....I lost my dad, and now the home that is full of memories of my growing-up years will also be gone. If there is something I have discovered about myself, it is that I don't deal well with change sometimes. Oh well, after a good cry, I'm feeling more stable! ;)
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Unexpected stuff and emotions...
at
7:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
Sorry about your sister! I hope she does get better and can visit as planned.
Sounds like great changes for your mom. But I agree it is hard. I still think about the house I grew up in even though some memories aren't the greatest and it's hundreds of miles away.
I sure hope your Sister feels better soon and that she feels well enough to travel. I can ot remeber how long it took my sister to recover from the same surgery. I think we all have a harder time with these kind of changes than we are willing to admit. We moved alot as akid and I still have troubles thinking back to certain places and wishing my parents were still there.
I hope Beth feels better soon :).
And I am glad to hear that Aunt Jean is getting a home that is easier for her to take care of, but I understand that it would be hard for it not to be in the family anymore. A good cry will help though--it usually does for me as well. :)
I hope that Beth is doing ok...and I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all this change. I hate it too!
(((HUGS)))
I'm sad too! I have many great memories of hanging out at that house with you!!! It's so hard to have things change like that...so sorry, but like you said, it will be easier for your mom...give her my love...and as always Loves to you too!!
I hope Beth has a quick recovery!!
Speaking of surgery, you'll have to check out my blog for the whole horrendous story, but Conor was rushed into emergency surgery last night for hemorrhaging...doing better now, though my heart is still trying to recover...
Oh so sad! that is a huge bummer on both parts! POOR BETH! hope she has a speedy recovery! glad they caught it before it burst. BUT NOT FUN! speedy recovery and good vibes for Beth!
Yikes that was fast. about your mom signing and signs posted. maybe in this market it will take a little while. you should go through and do a video tour. so you can go back and reminisce, and
have that to look back on and show the kids. like your old room, the measuring wall. talk about different memories you have in different parts of the house. it might be therapeutic for you and give you some closure. and peace of mind.
the change will be good for her, all one level, my mom has loved not having stairs this last year. and think of all the equity she has in it. and less to maintain. the change could be great for her.
hugs for you! stress is no fun, especially when you can't do much to change it right now. go eat dessert first. or get a Cup of your fave beverage, and watch a TV show that makes you laugh.
Thanks so much for the kind words. I am feeling much better and what a blessing we caught it early. I can thank our family P.A., Russ, for that. He made me go to the E.R. when I didn't want to. Of course, Priesthood blessings help a lot too ! (-:
Change is really hard. I think not having the house is like losing our last material connection with Dad...and even harder on you because you lived there. Love you sis and I will be coming to UT!
I know how you must feel about selling your house. I only technically lived in my parents current house for 1 year (21 years ago) but it's definitely home to me and would be hard to part with. Is your mom moving closer to you? That would be fun!!
Post a Comment