Monday, June 02, 2008

Phone calls with unwelcome news

So, my mom calls me at least once a day. I got the phone call today, and she started it with, "Well, here's the news...."

1st: Apparently my mom had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon today. I knew her knee had been bugging her, but last time I asked, the celebrex, or whatever she'd been taking for it, was helping. So today, she told me, no, it hadn't been helping anymore, and her knee was hurting and swollen. So the ortho. told her she didn't need a knee replacement yet(WHAT?!) but the cartilage looks to be pretty much gone so she needs a scope...that she's getting Wednesday...in two days. Goody. I have Nicole's ENT follow-up, so I don't even know if I'll be able to go with my mom to the procedure, but her sister is going. I guess I can go after and make sure she's comfy at home. My Aunt Carol says she'll stay the night with her that night...but c'mon...my 79 yo aunt (who isn't 100% herself) taking care of my 77 yo mother? I think we might be having a lil' sleepover at grandma's house Wednesday night.

2nd: My Aunt Diane....the one who is supposed to be leaving tomorrow for a mission? She has been having some energy issues and not being able to catch her breath recently....mentioned it to her Dr. and had an MRI or CT or something today.....blood clots in her lungs. Good Grief! That is three for three aunts that have had blood clot problems....and the first aunt died from it. Now I'm wondering when it's my mom's turn, but hoping that she won't have any problems like that and that those good genes got passed on to me! So, Aunt Diane is starting on the blood thinner tonight, and they are now postponed in leaving until next Monday. yeesh.

Don't you hate phone calls like that?! My other issue is that my mom hadn't told me anything about her knee hurting again, or about her appointment today....there are some things she tells me about 3-4 times, but this? Not once.

Oh well, I guess I should be glad she called me about it at all. There are times mortality stinks. Especially when watching parents and loved ones get old and fall apart. :)

5 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

that is super hard! i hate that too! sheesh! glad they caught everything. and can take care of it. good vibes coming her way from me. and hope things go ok with her scope.

Hacking it up said...

Sorry to hear about all that...I know what you mean about mortality...My uncle died when we were in Tombstone...I think I already old you that...sorry... Good luck to your mom and aunt!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad I read your Blog! Please keep us posted on how Nicole, Mom Jean, and Aunt Diane are doing. A sleep over at Grandmas sounds great!! You're all in our prayers!!!

Shanan and Danica said...

Send my best wishes to your mom too.

Jamie said...

Man I agree, an aging body stinks!! I sure hope your Mom and Aunts get the help they need. I am sure your kids will love the sleep over with G-ma my kids beg for them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails