How lame am I? I took no pictures on Thanksgiving....I must head over to my hubby's blog to steal some.....here I go.
And here you go.....a shot of the lovely dutch oven stuffing.....something must be cooked in the dutch oven in honor of my dad, "Burn it again Kenn", the dutch oven master. (Really, he was excellent!) It also helps free up the single oven in our home, which helps immensely. :)
To go along with the photo...a little twitvid:
So, what do we use our oven for if not the stuffing? The turkey you ask?
Absotively not.
My hubby taught himself the fine art of Deep-frying the Thanksgiving Bird before we met. Our 1st Thanksgiving together, he shared this delicacy with us, and we've kept him busy since! (Okay, I did roast the turkey the last couple of years, but missed our deep fried wonder too much, so this year, Ron got put back to work!) For any of you that are wondering, yes, it is easy, no, it isn't at all greasy, and the added bonus is your turkey is cooked in an hour!
Another twitvid:
Now, I'm sure you are all asking, what the heck does this post have to do with a hamster?
After our tasty meal, shared with my mom, Aunt Carol, niece Cali, her hubby Danny, and his brother Eric (say that 12 times fast....) we headed out to spend some holiday time with Ron's family at his sister Shirlene's home. We played Bingo (for PRIZES!), Apples to Apples Jr., and the kids played Twister. We also met Shirlene's (or should I say the kids) hamster. She is a fairly new hamster to their family. Got her at the pet store just a few weeks ago. Imagine their surprise when two weeks after they brought the little jewel home that she dropped a load of 6 baby hamsters into her cage! Lucky us that the hamsters were the cutest little furballs the night that we met them and Shirlene announced that they were ready to go to their new homes.....we tried to arrange a trade for the dog, but they wouldn't go for that. Too bad I'm a sucker, and we happened to have an empty aquarium at home, so a couple days later, after purchasing a mesh top, wheel, water bottle, food and bedding, we brought home our new pet. Ellie kept calling it a raccoon, so we were thinking of "Bandit" for a name. One of the kids suggested Kevin, and Jared asked, "What about Carl?".....we aren't sure where that came from! In the end we went with "Spike".....a tough name for our little fuzzball.
Without further adieu, meet "Spike", hamster extraordinaire:

He's already a lot bigger, as he wasn't quite 4 weeks old when we brought him home. The kids think he's fun. Jared doesn't like to hold him. The first time he did, J had something on his hand that apparently smelled quite tasty so Spike tried to eat it....gave J a pretty hard nibble/chomp to the palm, so J likes to watch him best in his hamster ball. I swear the thing is more than nocturnal though, he sleeps all. the. time.
Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Spike the Incredi-Hamster
at
9:35 PM
Labels: Spike, Thanksgiving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
What a nice mom you are. Remind me to tell you about the time my classroom hamster (Lavern & her partner Shirley) gave birth in one of my 2nd graders hands. Then did it again 17 days later. Don't get Spike a brother or you're in trouble! ;)
According to the fact filled Petsmart workers, female hamsters can spend their ENTIRE live pregnant. Including getting knocked up again IMMEDIATELY after giving birth. I guess your experience proved that fact as truth! Dang. So glad I am not a hamster!
Steph, I want to hear that story!! :)
You ARE a nice mama, Andrea. And I can see how you got suckered into it...Spike is pretty cute!
PS...I didn't take ONE photo on Thanksgiving either.
Deep fried turkeys are yummy!! We had some friends that did it one year for us! And nothing tastes better than when it's cooked in the dutch oven!! I was going to do my sweet potatoes in mine,....but I still can't find it...
Cute gerbil...hamster..thing...too bad they poop.:)
Spike = a perfect name for a small furry critter. :).
Some day I'll have to try a fried turkey. Haven't had the pleasure yet, just lots of people telling me how great it is.
Post a Comment