I have failed, slacked, and procrastinated. Forgive me. ;)
So I'll back up and update: We got my mom home the day after surgery, she was a little sore, and tired, but was glad to be home. She did well and was feeling quite back to normal by the Monday after surgery. That day she got a call from the surgeon informing her that her pathology report was back on the lump containing the tumor that was removed. Although her lymph nodes were clear, and initial tests on the lump showed the margins were good, once it got through the pathology exam and got looked at microscopically, there were 2 more small tumors found right on the edge of the tissue, which means the margins were not clear, and the cancer was spreading within the breast....which meant more surgery was needed.
The surgeon consulted with the oncologist and it was strongly recommended that she have a mastectomy. So that is what we are headed into tomorrow. Because of this change of plans, the oncologist appointment has been postponed to set up the beginning of chemo. She will meet now with him in about 3 weeks after she has time to heal from the mastectomy.
She goes in tomorrow morning, and it is anticipated that she will have at least an overnight stay in the hospital. If you know my mom, you know she is a strong lady, and this attitude has continued. She knows what needs to be done, and is facing it head-on and doing it. Certainly a daughter raised by strong parents who did the same thing. One thing that I realize as I get older when I think back about my grandmother is that she never ever asked "why me" when things happened to her. She was a widow for 20 years, dealt with kidney failure, heart problems, and nerve damage from her dialysis port. She just dealt with it. Never complained or wallowed. She was a good example. My mom is the same way. She is just moving forward, and taking care of this. Her neighbor brought her a plaque for her birthday, and my mom hung it over her kitchen window. It is a quote from Joseph B. Wirthlin: "Come what may, and love it." She sees it daily, and she will embrace this quote. My mom is awesome.
I will update tomorrow on surgery results. Thank you, once again, for your prayers.
Thursday, February 03, 2011
Latest and Not-so Greatest?
at
12:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
That is a great attitude to have.
Just keep swimming.
Good luck tomorrow.
Hugs!
She's a great example, I hope things go as well as they possibly can and you get clear margins.
Your mom IS awesome!!! Tell her she's still in our prayers! Love to you both!! xoxoxo
Very sweet.
So sorry to hear you are dealing with this right now. I will be thinking of your mom tomorrow. Keep thinking positive like she is :)
{hugs}
Post a Comment